Impact Investing, Another Tool
The Impact Investment movement started in community foundations a decade ago. The philosophy is to take investment money and loan it out locally with low interest for a set time period, while making a social impact as defined by the Foundation. Impact investing is another tool for the Foundation that we can use to bring significant new money into the greater Albuquerque area.
We have defined our Social Impact as*:
- To stimulate entrepreneurial initiatives and economic development
- To improve the lives of low-income people through the creation and retention of jobs that offer living wages and benefits
- Availability and access to affordable capital
- Access to affordable housing
- To enhance the quality of life through the vitality of the downtown area and other strategic locations.
- To promote a more vibrant community especially in collaboration with other investors to increasing the leverage factor
- To promote quality educational opportunities
Metrics will be measured on a deal-by-deal basis. Our expectation is that our investments will be produce social impact in one or more of the following non-exclusive ways:
- Impact and Sustainability
- Increase in the number of new private sector jobs
- Increase in the number of new companies
- Reduced unemployment rate
- Increase in the number of loans or investments made to aspiring entrepreneurs
- Increase in the number of affordable housing units created
- Attracting other capital
- Albuquerque’s revitalization
- Increase in the number of teachers trained
- Increase in the number of students’ educational/vocational attainment (e.g., degrees or certificates obtained)
Interested donors are invited to pool their resources with the Foundation on Impact Investments. For more information, email email@example.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*All investments will be focused in the Greater Albuquerque 4-County areas of Bernalillo, Sandoval, Torrance and Valencia