With a grant from the 2016 Great Grant Giveaway, CNM Ingenuity supported the development of 11 local businesses at FUSE Makerspace, an innovation center that allows students and community members to design, prototype and create manufactured goods. With this grant, access funds and tuition were provided to individuals needing training, tools, and business development opportunities.
Impact by Numbers
- 9 of the 11 businesses brought all or some production into the FUSE Makerspace
- 2 businesses started at FUSE Makerspace
- 2 businesses saved by moving into FUSE Business Membership incubation space
- 4 businesses are minority-owned
- 2 businesses are women-owned
- 1 business is veteran-owned
- 1 business owner moved off SNAP assistance
4 business owners moved out of poverty level income status.
As important as the individual successes, so are the collaborative collisions that have occurred over the past year. Artists, craftspeople, small business owners and technical experts have met at FUSE and formed ventures together. This has included learning to file an LLC and paying taxes to creative partnerships resulting in artwork, design and printing of products from skateboards to guitars.